View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
If it wasn't for Mine That Bird's inscutable effort today, we would have seen three relative mediocrities hit the wire together in one of the slowest KY Derbies in modern history. Now, instead of endlessly hearing about how wonderful a horse Pioneer of the Nile is, and one that only synthetic haters failed to see the obvious greatness of, we can all scratch our heads as to how this otherwise " slow " horse could destroy today's field.

I guess two things happened, the good horses all scratched for various reasons in the weeks leading up to the race and one horse loved the off-going....and the rest just aren't that good or completely didn't show up.

Today's Derby, which had a great deal of promise a month ago, ended up being a shell of its possible self, and one run on a sloppy surface that ultimately answered few questions. But at least it didn't produce a slew of undeserved accolades. For that I am thankful.
I'm not sure what to think. The slowest horse in the history of the Derby pulls off the biggest upset ever, is that good or bad? I'd rather him win than POTN, but it didn't matter, I wasn't even in the right zipcode.

All I do know is Calvin Borel is the king of Churchill- and again, a deserving winning jockey. And I could normally care less who rides.