View Single Post
Old 05-11-2022, 10:30 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
It’s an absolutely horrendous race. Why wouldn’t a trainer bring one in and take a shot?
I'm not arguing that. I'm commenting on the lack of a suitable race for a simple maiden winner at his home base.

He had to show up for this race whether his connections wanted to or not. And since Richard Mandella is not really known for taking shots or shipping, I'm guessing he would have stayed home if it was at all possible.

Or maybe the owner's plan is to leave the horse with Bill Mott or something since there isn't a whole lot of anything in CA for dirt 3yos within their own age group the rest of the year.

They have the Affirmed, a Grade 3 that usually draws 4 or 5 horses; the Los Alamitos Derby, a Grade 3 (I think) that draws 4 or 5 horses; and the Shared Belief, a Grade 3 at a mile that draws 4 or 5 horses. Set Sail probably could have jump started his career in the first 2 with an eye towards the Travers or Penn Derby, but he likely needed a race before the Affirmed in June which apparently isn't materializing at Santa Anita.