Thread: What not to eat
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's twin View Post
So true.

But put a baby harp seal on a spit for a couple hours.............Now that's good eatin' !
They're inquisitive because until they learn fear a lot of animals are and they're trusting because they're just babies - a few weeks to a few months old - who don't know not to be so when the ice has melted enough to get through and the trucks arrive they stay where they are. They're interested.

This isn't a hunt because that word implies some kind of fleeing, no? A chase? A chance to get away?

This isn't a hunt, this is a slaughter.

Some of the people ride up right along side them in their trucks or snowmobiles. The Canadian Coast Guard graciously helps these sad excuses for humanity by telling them exactly where the largest collection(s) of seals are.

Nothing like a little help from your friends!

They have these sticks that are long and have sharp hooks on one end. They club them, kick them in their faces, drag them off with hooks digging into them and are wink, wink supposed to wait one full minute to make sure the seal pups are dead before they begin to skin them.

Canada's Department of Fisheries and Oceans is responsible for that act of kindness as well as things like the blinking eye test. The sealers are instructed to make sure the skull is crushed and to make sure to bleed them by severing the arteries under the front flippers.

Studies have been done and it's estimated that around 40 percent are skinned alive because who the **** wants to wait a whole minute?

Skinned alive.

Skinned.

Alive.

If the older seals approach they are clubbed or shot and the males well, guess what part is cut off?

Now this has nothing to do with the ones in the water off the Newfoundland Coast. Thats' another ballgame with it's own special tactics.

So yeah my reason for saying this is that I am not humorless... it's me. I didn't laugh at your joke but it's me, not you.

I can usually find stuff that is funny in anything but once I get images in my head that don't leave like the bloodsoaked ice and the little poofy white carcases one on top of the other with the big black eyes that no longer have any life left im them except for the occassional one that is actually still breathing.....

It's me, not you.

I am not meaning to be all high and mighty or condescending. I just don't think it's funny at all and figured I'd explain why so if you or anyone wants to think I'm a humorless **** with a stick up my ass that is your call.

To me, I'm not.

It's just that it saddens me so.

Clip Clop my dearest one I'm thinking you might not have seen this part...

In addition to the scalloped hammerhead, the team found that the 32 samples identified as sharks included smooth hammerheads, school sharks, and spiny dogfish, which are all listed as Vulnerable to extinction; and other Near Threatened species such as bull and copper sharks.

I hope Rumor is okay Deb.

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 08-17-2012 at 03:57 PM.