View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 12:12 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitan View Post
Well he wasn't going to win with any other trip (see Derby), so kudos for trying something different and making a race out of it instead of a simple merry-go-round.
I agree with everything that you just said. I thought Jose did a great job Saturday. I couldn't understand why Chad would be mad at the trip and went back and read some of the quotes and now I think I understand.

It seems like Chad thought their best chance to win the race was if Justify regressed. Have Good Magic run his race no matter how it set up and he was in such good shape that he would have a chance to win if Justify took a step back. Instead Jose called an audible and did the opposite of what Chad wanted. Usually this strategy is applauded in other races, in this case I guess Chad feels like Jose burned his horse up and didn't hit the board while Justify still ended up winning. If Jose rides the race Chad wants, Good Magic is taking his best shot at Justify in the stretch. He most likely runs second, but with Chad's thinking if Justify did regress, maybe Good Magic gets him on the wire.

I don't know if Im correct or not, but I initially didnt think of it like this.