View Single Post
Old 09-15-2020, 11:35 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy View Post
You could say that....I’m absolutely crushed.

Honor A.P. suffered a tendon injury in the Derby...whatever anyone else thinks, I think he was an extremely talented colt who would have been even better next year. This takes all the wind from my sales - it’s going to take awhile for me to get over this.

I do want to say - I didn’t really read the other posts because I’m not in the mood to read about what mediocre horse he was, but I did see “one hit wonder” as I glanced through the thread, and I have to say I don’t understand the general disdain for the colt. He ran 6 times, won a grade 1, finished a very good second in the San Felipe to the eventual Derby winner off of a 5 month layoff and ran 4th in the Derby while injured. That’s all...have a nice day.
I was interested in seeing him run and, I think, continue to get better.

Try not to let it get you too down. This sport is filled with bitter disappointments and crushing defeats. But the beauty (or perhaps tragedy) of it is that it only takes one instance to fall back in love with it.

I think what you’re seeing as disdain is really just a general lamentation about the state of the sport. Many owners would rather send a horse to stud than continue to race it. The general belief seems to be that the overall quality and competitiveness of races suffers as a result.