View Single Post
Old 08-16-2017, 12:52 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Not without at least a brief layoff in between. However, was there really no excuse?

It's an interesting quandary for the connections. It's an easy and perhaps plausible excuse that the horse detested the surface. This is supported by the relatively poor performance of Baffert runners in subsequent weeks. Until Sunday, and the efforts of Soul Streit and Irish Freedom, I thought it was a certainty that Arrogate would opt for the Woodward. That's actually still on the table if Baffert is simply trying to clear the table for Collected. Or he's simply figured out how to adjust his training to the surface and his confidence is restored.

At the same time, the BC Classic will be run at Del Mar this year, so if the connections don't want to deal with lingering surface questions all through the fall, they'll probably run here to get to the bottom of it all.
I thought the same...I was told he was running here for sure about a week ago. I still find it hard to believe a truly great horse would have issues with surface, he never has anywhere else. My best guess is maybe he is getting studish?

This is a different track, maybe plays to the east coast better, maybe you need a race over it...have no clue but its def not SA or old Del Mar.