View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Arlington Park

Noverre-14

Champion Noverre, Half Brother to Arazi, Dies
By Blood-Horse Staff
Updated: Thursday, March 8, 2012 2:14 PM
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2012 2:14 PM

Noverre, an English champion who ran in two Breeders’ Cup events, died in India, where he was standing at stud, according to the Racing Post. A half brother to international champion Arazi, Noverre was 14.

By Rahy, Noverre was bred in Kentucky by Sheikh Mohammed’s Darley Stud Management. Campaigned by Godolphin, Noverre was England’s champion 3-year-old male miler in 2001. He won that year’s Champagne Lanson Sussex Stakes (Eng-I) and ran second in two English group I events. He finished first in that year’s Dubai Poule d’Essai des Pouliches (Fr-I, the French Two Thousands Guineas), but was disqualified two months later after testing positive for a prohibitive substance and placed last.

Noverre contested his first Breeders’ Cup race in the 2000 Juvenile (gr. I) at Churchill Downs. Attempting to emulate Arazi, who won the 1991 running at Churchill in dramatic fashion, Noverre finished 11th to Macho Uno .

Noverre was back in the Breeders’ Cup the following year. The 4-1 favorite in the Mile (gr. IT) at Belmont Park, he ended up seventh behind Val Royal.

Noverre, who also raced in Canada, Dubai, and Hong Kong, was retired after his 4-year-old season with a record of 5-7-4 from 21 starts and earnings of $1,429,344.

Noverre stood at Sheikh Mohammed’s Kildangan Stud in Ireland and at the sheikh’s Darley Australia before his stint in India. He has sired more than 20 stakes winners including 2010 English champion 3-year-old filly miler Music Show. His other top runners include Le Havre, who won the 2009 Prix du Jockey Club (Fr-I, the French Derby), and Enora, who captured the 2010 Preis der Diana-Deutsches Stuten-Derby(Ger-I, German Oaks).

According to the Post, Noverre is the sire of Hachiko, a two-time stakes winner in India this year.

Noverre is out of the Northern Dancer mare Danseur Fabuleux. His fourth is blue hen Dinner Partner.

Copyright © 2012 Blood-Horse Publications. All rights reserved internationally.