View Single Post
Old 05-18-2015, 12:49 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
Judging from the most previous TC years, they'll be turning away somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000. Smarty Jones' year was an aberration because the horse was from a city less than 2 hours from NYC.

I initially thought it was NYRA being cheap and just not wanting to pay for the staff and things necessary to handle 100,000+ but now I think it's a smart move for overall attendance- every year more people will be more likely to buy a ticket to make sure they don't get shut out (I bought a reserved seat in April because last year was such a nightmare), and then, if the Derby winner loses the Preakness, they will still go to Belmont because they paid for the ticket. Union Rags' Belmont had 85,000, but only because I'll Have Another scratched the Friday before the race. If he'd not been entered, or scratched a week after the Preakness I imagine it would have been about 45,000-50,000.

I'll miss the 45,000 Belmonts, though.

(Note: Union Rags' Belmont was a lovely day of racing; I have no complaints)
yeah, it really is a smart move by belmont. and of the three races, it's the only one i'd go to-just because i don't like huge crows like what ky and md have each year.
they should have no issue selling out-and as you say, people who buy a ticket in advance will most likely still go. that's a cardinal rule in any event that you can pre-sell. and if they don't show, at least you got ticket money.