View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 09:02 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
After looking at the first day's standings, it is clear that I had the wrong approach to this contest. I played the first day the way I might play a day at the races, placing $10 or $20 Win-place bets on what I thought were contenders. Then saw that the leader had over $3200, which I assume was the result of betting $100 on Flying Posse in Race 8, who paid $65.20 to win. My approach could not possibly reach that total in a full 10 days of play, even if just about every pick came in.

So, for the rest of the contest I'm going to completely change my approach. I'll simply try for the highest score of the day by making a single $100 win bet on a huge price horse and hope for the best. I guess there's no shame in having a score of zero for every day if you have the chance of having that single hit that could win the best day's performance. It's a bizarre way to play a contest, and is contrary to all of my handicapping habits, but that seems to be the only way to have any shot at all.

Does anyone else feel the same way?
I can't argue with you. Especially being only a 10 racing days contest, increasing the $ to the picks is the way to proceed.