View Single Post
Old 11-08-2006, 09:07 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
I understand Cannons point. But if you are winning then will get good stock. Nick has done a unbelievable job over the years. But you cant ignore a 50% decline in earnings. At some point in time a trainer loses a little something. Just like a coach loses a little something at the end of his/her career. I think Nick is getting up there in age and I think he will slowly decline in earnings and TC races. That is all.
I don't think anyone here is questioning Nick Zito as a trainer. I think what is at debate here is this 50% decline in earnings and his future. I think the decline in earnings is due to a variety of things, however I don't think it is reflective of a "bad year" so to speak. Last year he had multiple horses on the Derby trail, won and placed in preps, etc., and had horses for spots that might not have truly been the norm. Interestingly enough, if this same discussion took place a few years ago, I for one would have said Nick was on an upswing. The complexion of his barn was changing.

If you look at history and the complexion of Nick's barn, his babies were either homebreds (or pinhooks that were buybacks) or in the $75k to $250k price range. He certainly was not in the Pletcher, Baffert or Lukas price range. Now the last couple of years certain owners started stepping up to bigger price ranges. That can change the complexion of a barn.

From being in this business for quite some time, I have seen an interesting dynamic develop over time. Often, you see owners -- sometimes new, sometimes established -- gravitate to trainers who they might consider a constituent. Of course it's not always true.

Be that as it may, the Pletcher phenomenon without question has an impact on competition and other trainers, the size and complexion of their barns, etc. I think trainers today will find that new skills are needed -- not limited to training horses, but in the area of "client management" and dealing with people. I don't think trainers get wealthy on their daily rate so there is a different mindset needed.

I've always said -- never count out Nick Zito. IMO he hasn't lost a thing, a step, nothing.

Eric