View Single Post
Old 11-15-2021, 11:22 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
Not sure why every time a unexpected result happens is always stated it’s because of cheating. This kind of result happens from time to time. That’s racing and impossible horses can win especially on turf. The horses last race was decent and there were no world beaters in the field. Whether soft turf, distance or something else who knows. Nothing on form shows anything but that’s not a first for that.
Well for starters...because a lot of cheating goes on. Look at the last few years alone. First we had Navarro and Servis. Then Baffert has a horse test pop in both the Kentucky Oaks and Derby in back to back years. A jockey got caught with a buzzer at Monmouth this summer. I could go on and on.

This was strange because it was a decent field and nothing the horse had ever done came close to this performance. I've been following and betting for 25 years and can't ever recall a horse run 10th in a 25k claimer in August and turn around and win a stake in November. If you follow the NYRA circuit you know Mandate. This was not the same Mandate we had seen for years. He really ran on Saturday and was much the best.

I think the course, which had taken a bunch of rain not long before is the reason. But I also can't fault anyone for thinking something nefarious is the explanation. The reality is the sport has a bad perception right now by those that follow it like we do and by those that don't. Some of it is undeserved...but then again, some of it is absolutely deserved. Maybe the sport as a whole should look inward and try and change that.