View Single Post
Old 05-27-2019, 01:07 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
Are you f ing kidding me?
“Most of us have had a housekeeper? “ really ? I thought most of us cleaned our own freaking house. It’s not that difficult unless you’re a total f ing lazy slob or have money to burn. To insinuate that housekeepers are illegal aliens because that’s their profession is disrespectful. It is good honest work. Furthermore, to suggest that those employing said housekeepers knowingly break the law in doing so is absurd.

Is the defense here, “ oh, I didn’t know ? “ or simply, it’s the way it’s always been done.
Practically everyone I know has a housekeeper.

Are there some American housekeepers out there. Yes, absolutely. But where I live (in Los Angeles), practically all the housekeepers are either from Mexico or Central America. Some of them are legal aliens, but most of them are illegal aliens.

I never said it wasn't honest work.

Do most people who employ illegal aliens know that they are illegal? I would say in most cases the answer is yes. I don't think that most people ask and I don't think that most people care. They just want an employee who is honest and who will do a good job.

I think most people know that it is technically illegal to have an illegal alien working for them. But it's obviously not enforced. There are around 12-15 million illegal aliens working in the US.

Do most people know that if they have a housekeeper that comes once a week that they pay cash, that they technically are supposed to withhold Social Security and Medicare? I would say that most people probably do not know that.

By the way, the employer is not always required to pay social security. The law is strange. If the worker brings their own supplies and decides on their own how to do the job, then you don't need to pay. But if they use your supplies and you tell them how to do the job, then you do have to pay. Most people do not know that.

"A housekeeper is self-employed if she works for more than one client, sets her own schedule and provides her own supplies. She works under her own direction – you might tell her you’d like her to clean the bathrooms, but you don’t tell her how to accomplish the task. She might advertise her services to an array of clients, and she chooses what work to take and when to fit the work into her schedule." In this case you would not have to pay her Social security.

"Someone is your employee if you set her schedule, dictate her duties and provide the supplies she uses. If your housekeeper has regular hours in your home, you provide the cleaning supplies, and you dictate her duties and how they are to be accomplished, you are acting as the housekeeper’s employer. As an employer, you need to withhold Social Security and Medicare tax from your employee’s wages." In this case you would need to pay her Social security.

https://work.chron.com/tax-rules-emp...per-10188.html