View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 09:21 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Please, tell me where I said that? Enlighten me.
I will tell you exactly where you said that. I said to you, "You still didn't explain how the track magically gets so lightening fast on big days."

Your response was "I imagine there are a number of ways tracks get faster, or slower, and while I ( unlike you, who thinks you are ) am not a track super, I would guess moisture content plays a relatively significant role."

You were implying that it is outside factors that control the speed of the track and not the track superintendent. If you are now backtracking and saying that how the track superintendent prepares the track is the most important determining factor of how fast the track will be at Belmont, then you are agreeing with me.

It was not an accident that the track was really fast. They obviously wanted the track to be that way. If they didn't, they would have slowed it down. Glen is obviously capable of doing that. He's supposed to be one of the top, if not the top, track supers in the country. Even a bad track superintendent can speed up or slow down a track. So obviously the best one in the country can do it easily.

Maybe it's a good idea to have a really fast track on big days. I personally don't like it but that is just my opinion. Maybe having a fast track and really fast time creates a buzz among the fans that I'm not aware of. But either way, the condition of the track is not a coincidence. That is their biggest day of the year. As the article says, they are constantly checking the pulse of that track using all kinds of measurement with sophisticated equipment. If they see something they don't like, they are experts at adjusting it.

If you think they're going to leave the speed and condition of the track to chance on the biggest day of the year, I have some swamp land I'd like to sell you.