View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 10:32 AM
Oaklawn

I too, grew up in the Capital District and my grand parents were long time owners and regulars at Saratoga Harness. My grandfather served as a groom for many years and during the summer months and my school breaks, he would bring me along in the mornings. Alls I ever wanted to do was get in the sulky, but I was to young/small, so I mucked stalls, grazed horses, cleaned the tack, etc. Looking back, I was probably a total pain in the a$$, but now 30 years later I wish I had better appreciated and understood the access and opportunity my grandfather had provided.. My parents also purchased a few standardbreds during this time which only added to the fun.

I also spent a many August afternoon across the street at the SPA chasing jockeys for autographs and goggles. I loved the place then and even more so now.

Biggest score as a kid: My buddy and I were running thru the grandstand upstairs. We look down and see a C-note mixed in with some tossed aside tickets. No one was around. We grabbed the $100 and off we went.

Biggest score as an adult: Getting my wife to marry me.
Second biggest: To date, my 1st and only tax ticket, this past spring at Laurel Park Simulcast. A buddy and I hit a nice Pick 4 at Charlestown.