Thread: horse owners
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Randwyck

I understand your point, and in this case while it might be true in the abstract -- it doesn't make it so. What I mean is that obviously the owner(s) of Bernardini can afford do to whatever he/they choose. The ironic part is that he/they did! Do you think the horse was retired so that they could see an ROI? Remember, nobody is writing them a check for $60m. Anyway, they probably spent 10 times that amount over the last 10 to 15 years worldwide on their operation. It is not an ROI issue, at least I don't think so. Does anyone know how many shares in Empire Maker were sold? Will they be selling shares in Bernardini?

As much as it is human nature to do so, I do not think the public, fans, bettors, other owners, etc. can have an expectation that (other) owners will do as they would or the so called "do the right thing".

If we do, then we will consistantly be disappointed. Period. Who is to say what "the right thing" is? It sounds far to judgemental and self-imposing to me. Did I want to see Bernardini run as a four year old? Of course I did. I am a fan first, and an owner second. But they retired him -- so be it. We have every right to be disappointed; but to go further and critisize, personally, I don't see it.

Eric