View Single Post
Old 06-10-2015, 03:01 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
So you are saying the shorter the stride the more advantageous for developing constant speed? The problem with the math here is that while they are in air they aren't spending energy and are covering more ground. IF they had gas tanks that didn't deplete this would be fine but they do. As such the longer the stride to cover the most distance, typically enhances a horses ability to run faster, because the next push is done with the potential for more force. If you aren't exhausting your energy you can use it further up the track to push harder again. This seems to be why a longer stride is more favorable.
No, I am not saying that at all.

I'm saying the longer a horse has all four feet/hooves in the air, the more time that horse is spending slowing down.

I was responding to this point earlier (not to Trollo, but before him) that it's a fallacy to credit his running ability to him being in the air longer than other horses.

His biomechanical efficiency is where he gets his biggest advantage. It's the primary reason why I've felt that he would not have endurance issues, despite the female side of his pedigree.

He wastes almost no energy at all, relative to how other horses move.

A really good example of what I mean, though not perfect, can be seen immediately after one of his recent workouts.

When he's finished his work, you can see how he's moving with a very easy trot, almost like he's just prancing, while the stable pony has to exert himself to just keep up with the easiest of movements that AP is doing.

Also watch how almost perfectly flat his spine is during his workout. There is virtually no up and down (vertical) motion with the length of his back as he's running. Most other horses have very noticeable movement vertically, which is wasted energy.

He also has no visible defects in his forward movements. No leg paddling, he runs straight, etc..

These things are what you get as you get closer to perfect conformation. It is why conformation is so important, it translates into how good a mover a horse will be, among other things.

You can't really account for their internal engine though by what I'm saying. Secretariat, as you surely know, had a freakishly large heart, which I have no way of knowing anything about.

Save your breath Trollo.