View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 10:12 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGuido View Post
Nope but I have seen it many times and also have studied the Mafia for some time. Fascinating beginning in Italy and their history.
I grew up in a small town in upstate NY close to where the mafia used to hold there summer meetings in Apalachin, NY. My cousin lived on the main road to get to the "hide out" campus in the thick woods and it was a campus of multiple cabins. I'd visit him now and then and every so often playing in the front yard we'd see a constant long row of black cadillacs driving about a 1/2 mile past his house and then turning up into the woods. We never knew what was going on until we got much older but thinking back, it was pretty cool.

My wife and I rented our first upstairs apartment over a house owned by and Italian family (nice family) and it was clear he (the father) and his friends were involved in the underworld . . . if not big time, at least in a fairly obvious way. I would often knock on the side door of the basement off the alleyway and tell the somewhat rotund guy with the crooked nose who'd come to the door, and who did not live there, I had the money to pay the rent. He'd leave for couple of minutes and come back and said Mr. (nameless) said it's OK to give me the rent money. What was I gonna do say no? And for the 9 months we lived there we never had one issue with the rent or with the family.
You know I deleted my other comment cause it just wasn't worth it but I do want to say something only this time will not apologize in advance...

It is cute reading mob comments.

There is a mountain in Sicily that I now have the deed to. A cool, historic and worthless piece of paper and my kids do not understand why I don't just call the police. That is pure comedy. This is not visiting Taormina for a few days or seeing a performance of Cavalleria Rusticana. This is not watching the Godfather trilogy or Goodfellas. This is real life.

Now I don't know what you call the kind of squatters who build homes on a grand scale. Okay not villas and not mansions BUT seriously nice homes.

Oh did I mention the guards? You know, those nice beefy boys with perpetual tans and prominent noses who probably shed tears at the opera and love their mothers and who display great abs visible thought the open shirts on hot days (see I can make generalizations too)? Well okay maybe they aren't all so movie-like BUT they all have Uzis or something similar.

See the thing about romanticizing this thing of ours is that it is fiction. It is a story. Now I do admit to enjoying films depicting the Mafia and I have my fav gangsters lol I have read about BUT BUT BUT I cannot say that I know anything truly when it comes to such things.

I have heard stories my whole life mainly about my grandparents... the one that sticks out is about my grandfather who was left behind to work as tailors apprentice and saved till he was 14 to sail over alone to join the rest of the family in NY. I will cut to the chase but it involved a gun to his head and a little reminder that he didn't see anything, capisce...

So enjoy being called Don and watching Goodfellas.

There are thousands of people who were never born cause their fathers especially were treated like tissues and discarded as they were deemed garbage by thugs with bullets and delusions of mediocrity.

Again I do not presume to know much here but you are making light of a subject that, while it is dramatic and makes for great films, is perhaps a bit more serious that you seem to suggest with your tales of neighbors who were nice.