View Single Post
Old 09-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost
I have lost one of my best friends to suicide. He shot himself in the head with a pistol in front of his child and other friends during a get together. He shot himself in the head wth a pistol with a bottle of whiskey next to him.

I have known this man since Junior High School. I was a bald kid who was tring to fit in and he took me "under his wing" if you will. Thru High School I was a rebel and so was he, but I was the lone man out cause when you are 16, 17, 18 and bald as an eagle life can be made hard by other students at that age.

When graduation came, I went to college and he took up a life of crime. We lost touch up until a couple years ago when I stumbled into a bar he was at. He was facing a prison sentence for drugs. We rekindled old memories and I went my way and he did his.

He served 3 years in the joint for his crimes, got out, and met a nice lady. Had a child and was holding down a great paying job. Then he did this.

I have NEVER, EVER, held respect for people who take their own life. But, at this time, I am torn.

I want to pay my respects to this friend of mine - but on the other hand that is against what I believe - Suicide to me is the most selfish thing a man or woman can do, especially when they have a child.

What do you recommend?
Pay your respects. I'm sure you have strong and good reasons for your beliefs. Your friend most certainly had stronger, though not good, reasons for his own actions. You are paying respect to the man, not his actions.

Suicide or doing damage to others is indeed punishable, but not by you or me. And the purpose of any punishment is only to correct the false belief that God is not supreme. For suicide victims, we must begin by forgiving them and acknowledge that the Resurrection proved that violence in any form is never the answer.

I don't know if you go for that sort of stuff, but that's how I see it.

Last edited by SentToStud : 09-18-2006 at 07:41 PM.