View Single Post
Old 11-14-2020, 09:42 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I’m laughing out loud at the first paragraph.

I guess the only issue with what you are suggesting is I’m not sure it solves anything. Let’s use the horse Freddy is talking about as an example. They bring him back for a start at the end of his 3 year old year. He gets hurt again and then they just wait out another year or so and he still goes off to stud duty.

The only real way to change this as I see it would require an overhaul of the game as we know it. Less graded stakes, lower purse money for stakes and less total races. There are too many options available. Force trainers to run their horses more.

The best racing we have seen all year was from April-June because fewer tracks were open and trainers HAD to run their horses instead of shopping around for an easy spot.
I agree, most of what you note is would be more effective in improving the way the sport operates. At the same time, the breeding industry is a big driver in the way things have developed. Ignoring that side of things will keep things trending the wrong way. The age limit thing would only be effective IMO if the horse also had to run as a 4yo, not just sit on the sidelines until their universal birthday.

To be honest, I didn't really think about the thread topic too much; I just wanted to use that one liner.