View Single Post
Old 05-07-2020, 10:24 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
I'm confused about his "niggling physical issues" line. I am almost sure it was reported that he broke his leg after winning, I think, the Alydar at Saratoga and was preparing to take on Gun Runner in the Woodward, which was why he missed so much time as a 4YO and 5YO.
DRF reported he had ankle surgery for a chip fracture back then. In another interview the trainer has said the horse has had ankle surgery more than once.

Judging by quotes at various times of this horse's career, looks like this fence-riding has been the norm.

Right after the Clark last year...

Stall said future options for Tom’s d’Etat include the new $20-million Saudi Cup over 1 1/8 miles on Feb. 29, the $12-million G1 Dubai World Cup Mar. 28, major stateside races and, possibly, retirement for a stallion career at stud.

...and yet just before the Oaklawn Mile...

We just went to instant shutdown mode right after the Clark, but we didn't send him anywhere,” said Stall, who trained 2010 Classic winner and champion older male Blame. “I kept him with me at the Fair Grounds and he had a perfect winter. I can't think of anything that didn't fall into our little plan. The goal was to start breezing easy on Feb. 1.

Nothing new here. Plans change at the drop of a hat, but it would be nice if trainers who clearly aren't eager to run weren't so eager to spout off about grandiose plans for campaigns and then make dubious excuses about why they couldn't follow through. It would also be nice if turf writers didn't give them the platform to do it.

The kicker in all this is a quote from one of the horse's racing managers, taken from an interview ahead of last year's Pegasus Cup:

We have always felt that if our horses are sound and training well and demonstrate they can compete, we should enter. This holds true to Tom’s d’Etat.