View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 09:00 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
You don't see the point of riding the horse down the lane like that? Don't horses do this all the time when prepping for a tougher race at a longer distance? You ride a horse out so they get mentally and physically prepared for the future. Nobody was close enough and enough of a challenge to push him so his jockey had to do it on his own. Obviously he could've cantered across the line and gotten little out of the race and it wouldn't have done much for the horse's seasoning since they could've cruised the last furlong. It's 1 3/16, and he ran nearly the same time Rachel ran in the Preakness. Maybe it wasn't necessary to do that much, but he's got a month to freshen up. I don't think it's a problem. It's not like he had a gut buster during the race with the pressure of a speed duel.
well if you can offer me an example in the last 20 years where a horse was hard ridden up 15+ lengths heading into the biggest race of their life, then hats off to you. The horse still has to ship half way across the world, acclimate to the climate, the course, etc. etc., i just don't see the worth in blowing him out b/c, "Nobody was close enough and enough of a challenge to push him"

-bt-

Last edited by -BT- : 04-03-2018 at 11:49 AM.