View Single Post
Old 07-22-2007, 06:15 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw
I have not thought about some of the tracks that Cardus listed in a long, long time. When I was a kid, the Globe and the Herald used to cover the Wonderland Derby in a huge way, and I am sure the Record-American did before that. I am dating myself a little with theat reference. I have done all the NE tracks, thought Green Mountain was the most beautiful spot next to Saratoga to watch any kind of race. Dingy, but the surroundings were incredible. Shoreline Star - you still know you are in Bridgeport. Wonderland used to be the palce to be on a Saturday night. Most guys who grew up betting anywhere around Boston will laugh and smil when they hear "There goes Swifty.... and they're off!!!" Last point, I can't remember the other dog involved, but when Rosster Cogburn had a 3 race match race set up, you couldn't get onto the apron to see it the track was so full. Wonderland does not draw that may people (or teeth) now in a month's time. The power the Carney's have, and how they have used it to try and put Charlie Sarkis out of business, is unreal.
The Carney's power in the Massachusetts racing industry is quite something. They pretty single handidly hold up simulcast bills every legislative year because they want more and more. They are doing it in their own best interest and the interests of their facility, which is commendable, but they should realize their hard line stances have ruined Massachusetts from a racing competitiveness stand point.