Thread: Duke/Davidson
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2009, 02:39 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
Thanks for telling me to go to an NBA game. I've never been.

Again, you've missed my point. I don't care if NBA guys are assholes, my problem is that the NBA is so dry. It largely doesn't matter to these players whether they win or lose. That's gay, no matter how good the players are.

I cover high school basketball in the city and I enjoy the hell out of it, moreso than NBA games. Why? Because these kids live and die for basketball. Many of them are trying to play their way into a scholarship, others are just doing it because they love it. It's basketball at its purest, if not at its cleanest. There aren't seven zillion TV timeouts, halftime show inanity, or players that are treated like Gods. It's more than just some **** they have to do in order to get paid eight figures a year and secure endorsement deals.

College hoops is similar. Most kids aren't going to the NBA, and every season, thousands of players take their last steps on a basketball court in front of a crowd. Therefore, they're going to want to win more than NBA players, to keep their careers going. So they bust their asses and give us great games against other kids not wanting their careers to end. That's fake drama? What the hell would be real drama then?
I think that it is funny that you think that the best players in the world are not trying, they just go through the motions. You are letting all the periphrial stuff get in the way of the game on the court. College games are not well played basketball in most cases. The game was far better when the players stayed for 4 years. A team like North carolina is dominant simply because the players stay around and are talented for the NCAA level. Compare this period of UNC to the priod in the mid 80's where they has Jordan, Worthy, Perkins, etc and were not nearly as dominant. The game is just played at a lower level than it used to be. And dont bother with the NBA was better with Bird, magic etc because the truth was that there were only a few competitive clubs back then. There are 3 serious teams in the NBA this year and about 10 that arent far behind.