View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 09:51 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBenelli View Post
Just like this thread and other articles I have read since last Sat, folks seem to always discount the west coast preps.
They should since they have been atrocious. The CA 3yo contingent was exposed all the way back in November, when neither Klimt nor Gormley made any impact on the BC Juvenile, despite the race being run on their home track.

The early West Coast preps were indeed weak as they weren't even truly run races, essentially amounting to match races. The Sham featured the seasoned Gormley against recent maiden sprint winner American Anthem, and Gormley just got the better of the latter. Hardly evidence of progression. Both were frightfully exposed in their subsequent appearances featuring more experienced rivals and more contentious pace scenarios.

The Robert Lewis was also a match race, between recent maiden breaker Royal Mo and maiden Irap. Royal Mo predictably led the charge as he was essentially winning his second consecutive maiden special weight. Irap stayed a maiden for a couple more starts despite racing at Sunland Park. Royal Mo was humiliated in the Rebel when facing a full field with a contentious pace.

Besides Gormley and Royal Mo, the other horses CA is offering up are Battle of Midway, Sonneteer, and Irap.

I wouldn't bet Battle of Midway unless he got 3 months off and returned on the grass.

I wouldn't bet Sonneteer even if he ran in a maiden special weight.

I wouldn't bet Irap even if he ran in a maiden special weight.