View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
For the Wonderland Derby (3/8ths), the lead outs (?) all wore tuxedos! I loved it.

When I first started working at Plainfield, we had a couple of tuxedo races each year. I believe one was called the Blazing Red Memorial. I was 16 when I started working there and didn't really know much about it, but I ended up working there for 7 years and learned a great deal about greyhound racing as I moved up the racing official ladder.

As was mentioned before, the break and the run up to the first turn is key. Each track has its own post position bias. The stats are usually available on the track website. Most often, the 1 hole is best. I tend to give a good deal of consideration to grade drops, for example a dog who has been racing in C the past couple of races in now down in grade D against weaker competition. A double grade drop (A->C or B->D) is even better, though sometimes it is clear that the dog's ability is dropping as well. Times are good to look at, though the trip factors hugely into the final time. Replays are a very good handicapping aid, if available.