View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 09:45 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
Experience is everything is gambling. To me, betting the horses is knowing when not to bet. Knowing your stregths and finding a race that plays into your strengths is the most important part of playing the ponies.
Disagree pretty strongly with both you and Scavs (who I hope is at least partly joking). Experience is very important, but it is not "everything in gambling". You are very unlikely to learn how to beat any game by experience alone.

I very seriously doubt there is a current successful blackjack player in the entire world who is self-taught. You have to either have read a good book or have the benefit of a good mentor, or both.

I'm confident that the vast majority of successful poker players have read good books.

There is no substitute for experience, but trying to be successful from the ground up with experience alone in any area of gambling is a foolish undertaking, IMO.

--Dunbar