View Single Post
Old 10-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985
Did I say the correct horse? Im talking about Frank Brothers.... He got beat in the Gulfstream race, his 3yr old debut, Keyed Entry beat him. Then he got put up by DQ, Corinthian shifted in bad on him in another Gulfstream race, then he ran like **** at Keeneland, that was the day Sinister Minister freaked.
If he was hurt or something no I did not know, but he was one of my favorites.
In his three year old debut, he dueled with Keyed Entry in the Hutcheson over a sea of slop and was beaten a length as they both broke the 7.5f track record, the winner lowering it to 1:27.0. In retrospect, Brothers agrees that he probably should have scratched that day. First Samurai was a big heavy horse that was tough to keep sound, and he pounded down to the hard Gulfstream base that day with every step.

Much like Read the Footnotes and Second of June after their epic Fountain of Youth 2 years earlier, First Samurai and Keyed Entry were both never the same after that Hutcheson... Samurai came back in the Fountain of Youth a month later and was put up as the winner after Corinthean's mauling of him. Then in the Blue Grass, he was hit by the gate which broke 2 of his ribs.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...th-broken-ribs

He was retired about 6 weeks later having won 5 of 8 career starts including the Fountain, Hopeful and Champagne, the 2nd in the Hutch and the 3rd behind Stevie Wonderboy/Henny Hughes in the BC Juvenile.