View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
Love it... I'm borrowing this

F*CK the Yankees. Enough is enough. I hope they get buried again by the Rays and Sox. Spending inflated prices on moderate players is a sure way to ruin the sport. What the hell has Texiera done that merits an all-time type contract? I can name 50 first basemen that are better than him, easily, in the last 25 years. Come on... Now it's going to be $800 for a family of 4 to sit in the upper deck at the "new" Yankee Stadium. I don't understand the fervor in buying a championship. Nobody will consider it legitimate.

The Phillies won theirs this year the right way. A good mix of homegrown talent sprinkled with some decent free agent pickups to fill the gaps. Not some ridiuclous buying spree of every aging free agent out there.
Phil the truth of the matter is it is going to be ridiclously expensive to go the Yankee games regardless of what they spend on payroll. The real enemy of the fan in cities like NY are the Corporations that buy up seating at inflated pricing. If people stopped coming they would adjust prices. But even at high levels they still get 4 million people a year. The true culprit for the Yabkees spending ability is MLB and the players union that refuses to incorporate a realistic salary cap and revenue sharing plan like the other sports have. While a free market is often used in the Yankees defense it really isnt a free market as the other teams are at a huge competitive disadvantage and if they decided that they would rather not play the Yankees any more then the Yankees would suddenly be fairly worthless. It is an extreme example but they need the other teams to compete against and there has to be a competitive balance. The reality regardless of what you hear is that the Yankees have done a terrible job at constructing teams this decade which is why they have lost. If they start to do a better job which in my opinion they have this off season they will make baseball a lot less interesting which it cant afford to do. Though I agree that having the Yankees/Red Sox/Mets/Cubs as foils to root against makes baseball more appealing, if they start to become the only teams to win (except obviously the Cubs) the sport will be hurting. And I would be hard pressed to find 5 or 6 1st baseman better than Texiera the last 25 years. He is the 2nd best 1st baseman in baseball (Pujols a clear number ), in his prime and hits from both sides. The pitchers are far greater risks than him.