View Single Post
Old 12-23-2008, 07:29 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
He hit .467 tardo. RBI's are a terribly overrated stat simply because it is heavily tilted towards the ability of the men ahead of you in the order getting on base rather than your ability to drive them in. If no one is on when you get hits you cant get rbi's
Well, if a guy is on 1st base, you can't get an rbi with a single. That's what I am saying. You need extra base hits to score a guy from 1st. You're gunna pay this much money for a guy who had no extra-base hits in 20 at bats against Boston? His sole rbi was on a sac fly. Look how many times there is a guy on 1st, and Tex singled(extra base hit could of given team a chance for a run.) Look how many times in this series Tex gets a single, and Guerrero follows with a single. Those would have been run scoring situations if Tex had doubled. Here are his at bats with runners in scoring position:

game 2: guy at 3rd with 1 out...Tex gets Sac Fly(only RBI of the series)

game 3: guy at 3rd with 1 out...Tex strikes out(so clutch indeed)

game 3: runners on 1st n' 2nd with 2 outs..Tex grounds out(so clutch indeed)

game 3: runners on 1st n' 3rd with 2 outs: Tex grounds out(so clutch indeed)

game 4: runner on 2nd base with 2 outs..Tex walks(single would have been clutch..it's his job to get that run home..not leading is he?)

game 4: runners on 1st n' 3rd with 2 outs.....Tex struck out(so clutch..go home, watch others play )

So, you geniuses are paying all this cash to a guy who didn't get an extra base hit in the series. He only got 1 rbi in the series, and the reason for that is not as Canon tried to Snow you with(lack of opportunities.) No, the reason is because he came up with runners in scoring position 6 times, and failed to get them home in 5 of those 6 chances. He did not get a hit at all when runners were in scoring position. You can say he hit for a good average in the series, but he was not impactful. Can he be impactful in the post? I have never seen this guy as a clutch leader. If someone else leads, I think he may relax enough to pile on. So, if you want this contract to get the Yanks a ring, then you need an offensive post-season leader(ain't him.)