View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
I'm holding out hope that Tannenbaum isn't dumb enough to go after that piece of trash Matt Cassel. Talk about a sucker move. Signing him to a big contract would be akin to betting Music Note at 1-9 in the BC Classic after her only competition scratched in the Gazelle. There's a reason the guy hadn't started a game since high school, and you could put Chuck behind that O-Line with Moss and Welker and he'd look like Dan freaking Fouts.

As an aside, the Jets leading the league with seven Pro Bowlers may be the final blow for Mangini if they can't sneak into the playoffs. I think he's a decent coach, but he's not good enough to make up for two lackluster coordinators. I'd like to see Romeo replace Sutton and Callahan promoted to OC, then Mangini get one more year to do something significant. The QB situation will be a mess (tell Favre to take a hike), but if we can suss out a gamebreaking WR in the draft, build some O-Line depth and shore up the secondary, I don't think we'll need Johnny U. back there to contend next year.

I personally think that Woody Johnson will give Mangini one more year. I still think Farve is going to ride into the sunset and try to forget totally about this year.
The way the Jets/Pats take each others players, you would think that there is a good chance that Cassel ends up the swamp. But I agree with your assesment of him. I just think about Scott Mitchell for some reason.
But it definitely poses a good question. This team is built for now, if it's not Farve then who will it be? If I was Mangini/Tannenbaum and realized that next year is my last unless you make the playoffs, would I really want my fate in Kellen Clemens hands? I wouldn't. Maybe a guy like Jeff Garcia for a season. You are a running team, get used to it and Garcia is solid plus he doesn't turn it over much. He might be enough to enable your team to make a run.
If not pack your bags because you are not going to see the new stadium. By that time Mike Holmgren's year sabatical with be over and he will be ready to come to the biggest market in the world. He will be the GM/Coach and then some major changes will be made. For the record I am not a huge fan of his, but the man has had sucess where ever he has been. Maybe he could turn around gang green. He couldn't be any worse that the last 3 head coaches that occupied that position.