View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
In regards to Leon Washington, they could probably use him a bit more, but he's not an every down back. He's too small. Plus, Thomas Jones leads the league in rushing. Your last few sentences are right on the money though. It's just another collapse. I thought they would improve this year, but to be honest, they improved a lot more than i expected. They have had a good year, but choked, as usual, when it mattered.

They had no choice with pennington. He couldn't even get the ball to his receivers last season. I, like everyone else thought his arm was shot. When you get a chance at a QB like Favre, you have to take it. It was either get rid of pennington, or Clemens and Clemens is a lot younger and I believe Pennington wanted a chance to play somewhere. Did anyone think pennington was going to have a season like this? Weren't the Dolphins the only team that wanted him?
I agree that he's probably too small to be used as an every down back (they said that about Tiki Barber too). Plus Jones has been very good this season. But to give him only 3 touches on a day where you score 3 points is no good. They should try to use him like the Saints use Reggie Bush. Maybe a special package of plays for him, he is a playmaker.
As far as the QB situation goes, I thought it was the right move. You would have thought that Farve would have been able to put the team on his back for 1-2 wins. Unfortunately he has not and his play has been very sketchy. I guess the picks would have been worth it if they made the playoffs. But now you are looking at not making the playoffs and a reasonable chance Farve will go back into retirement. So the team that had so much promise earlier in the season will be starting next year with Kellen Clemnens or maybe a new free agent (Matt Cassel anyone?) under center. Personally, I thought that they had opportunities to draft other (maybe better) options at QB. Guys like Cutler, Quinn and even Leinart ( I know he hasn't been good). You mentioned Pennington, there is a chance that the Jets would be in even better shape if he was still here. Really how many games has Farve won by airing balls out downfield? Not to mention the interceptions. He certainly isn't the Brett Farve the Jets thought they were getting.