Thread: Show Parlay
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 11:25 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman5581
No, I don't mean to make it sound like it is easy. It requires a degree of patience, picking your spots (maybe one or two a day that are "mortal locks" in the mind of the bettor), strategically selecting races with fewer than 7 entrants, using confirmed angles for the track being bet. I do think it's possible to do more than 29% of the time...I have no statistical backing at this point, but based on my experience I do consider this to be a risk well worth taking.

This last contest I did, in fact, post my picks to the board until I was eliminated. Were I actually betting, I probably would have schnitzeled a little off at about round 10 as profit. And, based on my experience in this contest, I think I could have done this over a course of 5 to 10 days.

What's more, I think this can be done at least a third of the time if one is patient enough to pick races with small fields of 6 or less.

I may take up this experiment at a time that is not so hectic. Right now, I'm a little too busy to commit to it. If someone else would like to try it out, feel free. I will join in when the studies aren't demanding so much of my time. for now, consider my string of 12 and 17 to be the first of 20 attempts. Fair enough? Unfortunately I don't still have the picks from the first contest as that was a good 3 or 4 months ago. But, I suspect the return was very similar. I do still have the picks from the round of 17 if anyone is interested enough to confirm....I suspect no one is so I will leave it at that!
No, that is supremely unfair. You do not start an experiment with back data. You start fresh.

Having said that, I would be very interested in seeing your experiment go forward. If you are very carefully choosing your races, I don't rule out the possibility that you could have an edge. But it's a very bad idea to conclude you have an edge based on 2 attempts plus some anecdotal evidence from friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
I agree with Dunbar....There is a reason why bridge jumping is a bad strategy. There are no sure things and 3-5 horses run off the board all the time...
For the record, randall, I don't necessarily think bridge jumping is a bad strategy.

--Dunbar