Thread: nhl
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BT- View Post
I can somewhat understand the concept that players will police themselves and be less reckless if ALL players were to play without helmets. Having said that, if you gave the players a choice today, I would be astonished if anyone would willingly give up their lid to play without ANY head protection, and none of this should be a discussion b/c the NHL is going the exact opposite way of that anyways, trying to mandate visors like in JR’s and the AHL. Personally, not in favor of mandated visors, players who don’t wear one take that risk, willingly. You can’t compare Bobby Orr to Sidney Crosby, it can’t be done. Look at the pads they wore back then, shoulder pads might have been a flannel short, shin pads were rolled up newspapers, sticks, don’t even get me started… speed, again, night and day, strength not even in the same ballpark. What worked then, won’t work now, PERIOD.
And even though helmets don’t always prevent stupid sh!t from happening (see Patrick Swayze in Youngblood), they’re a must in this day and age

-bt-
Awesome pull Mr. Thomas!