View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Santa Anita

Ok so I'm having issues with the math here so if someone could help I'd appreciate it. $270,000 was the sale price right? I presume it'd still be pretty high if not for the underbidding by the owner (sounds fishy and definitely needs to be looked into). Brocklebank goes and buys it privately for $29,000 and a $19,000 reserve had been the plan before. Sure they can do all this splitting of proceeds or whatever but I can't figure out how on earth a horse can go from being worth $29,000 to $270,000 in one day--say the real sale price would've been $250,000 just for the sake of argument and you get to keep the whole thing. I dunno maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't even seem like a good idea if you're trying to rig something as the original owner.

Seems like in this case you get more money selling a horse yourself on the up and up here then selling behind the scenes and getting a cut unless the filly's value's seriously overinflated. I'd love to know the highest bid before it was just Brocklebank and Chase. What annoys me is this: ""Buzz was upset," said Brocklebank, who then added, "They said the business should have been kept between me and the consignor, and not let the sale company know. It was a legit, clean deal, just a horse bought before the sale. Probably what should have been done, an announcement should have been made that the ownership had been changed." Ok so Chase isn't upset that something screwy was done but that the sales company got involved in the mess and it went public? Announcing the ownership change wouldn't have been enough here. Brocklebank was up to something. And people wonder why my goal in the future is breed-to-race. I trust me more than I trust one of these jokers.

Last edited by Merlinsky : 10-26-2006 at 03:20 PM.