View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Agree with most of what you are saying but I think you are underrating the potential those enthusiast crowds can have. Give them a reason to follow the sport on days they aren't at the track and for many of them the wagering will continue to increase. Then things like your Siro's Seminar and the Youbet show become important catalysts to increase their wagering. By no means am I saying the jockeys are what is going to give them a reason to follow the sport. All I was saying is that there is absolutely no way of promoting the jockeys when they are wearing a different costume every race making it difficult for the common fan to differentiate between them. So as long as that is the case any efforts to promote the jockeys are a waste of time and resources.

I can agree with all that. My biggest problem is that when racetracks find a way to lure people to the track they do nothing to even attempt to educate them about the game. Someone may come to the track to see Bernardini or a certain rider but the best way to get them to come back is to help them cash a bet or two. That's what hooks 'em.

For every Brad Thomas, who is beyond excellent, there are five Jan Rushtons.