View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 06:27 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindew View Post
Steve, when you consider the slow start and the fact that Java's War ran 52 feet more than the runner-up, is it reasonable to view that 89 a little more favorably? I ask because I don't really know much about the science/art behind how these figs are made.

JD
Dewwaditty!

Since the joint went to poly, the Blue Grass has regularly been a slow fig race with I think only General Quarters and Dullahan (98/99) approaching a 'fast' fig. Monba, Stately Victor, Dominican, Brilliant Speed were all in the low 90's. With a lot of Blue Grass exiters (Paddy O'Prado another example), you didn't have quality dirt efforts to fall back on. At least with Java's War you have some authentic dirt form in the Tampa Bay Derby placement (96 in 3yo seasonal debut) to reference as well as the come home time from Saturday.

I think Java's War is pretty good and is absolutely bred to relish added distance. As discussed yesterday on ATR, this Derby group isn't going to produce the typical frantic early pace, so Java's War likely isn't going to be closing into a collapsing scenario, but he'll be running at the end when others have packed it in.