Thread: .
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Hollywood Park

Default Looking Back and Forwards

I, too was depressed about the outcome of the Kentucky Derby on Saturday. The only bright spot i thought was Big Brown's effort (the horse) and the courageous effort and ultimately terrible outcome of Eight Belles.
All i could think about was another unfortunately and untimely death of a horse who gave it her all, on the biggest stage that we have.

I was saddened first by Eight Belles having to be put down like the rest of us are. I was also saddened by who was the trainer of the winner of the Ky. Derby. I thought about all of the hard working and honest trainers who have never had a chance to win the Derby or even get close to racing in that race.

I was next saddened in reading the NY Times the following day and the negative coverage and editorial by one of their sports writers basically calling for the end of racing and comparing our sport to greyhound racing. Enough said about that.

In an industry that does not have one voice given the separate entities of state jurisdictions and differences in track ownership we are sorely lacking a place to move forward.

As a fan and lucky enough to be involved in a very slight way on the ownership level, i can only hope that our dark moment will lead to changes that can be positive. That said, after reading Chuck's piece, one can not see the light at the end of the tunnel at this point in time.

Thanks Andy Serling for your wonderful essay and i also look forward to racing as we enter Belmont, Churchill Downs and then Saratoga.