View Single Post
Old 04-11-2015, 10:29 PM
Washington Park

I was thinking today that I don't recall a year of Derby Preps like this where the "chalk" won so much. In other years, you have horses on one circuit or another who are "chalk" and win, but on others you get some "new players". Nothing that won most of these Derby Preps paid much, if any. They were all bet, they were expected and they delivered. That's a good thing in a good way in that these are good horses who we expect good performances from and they deliver. A mark of a good horse. Time will tell, but for now it looks like a good crop.

The intriguing question is "How fast can they run ?" We've seen Dortmund win, American Pharoah, Carpe Diem, International Star, Mubtaahij (if he runs), Frosted and others. They won, but is there more if needed ? Was the prep their top or is their more, and how much more ?

We can look at their numbers, Beyer, Thorograph or whatever, but you have to wonder what else is there. We know what was there, but is that it ? Is there more or was that it ?

I just know some, or all of them maybe have something else. We just have to find or guess who. It's kind of a great situation this year. We have some good horses who are very consistent, as opposed to other years. It may be hard betting, but that's OK too.

I'm going to look at some prep film over and I'm not necessarily going to look for a "trip" but I'm going to look at the way the horse is running, his stride, his demeanor, determination and energy and look to see if this horse is showing me he may have something more. Another gear, another step, another level.

I'm going to be looking at those horses like Dortmund and American Pharoah and say "How really good are you ?"