Thread: Singapore watch
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Saratoga

Grant's Success takes Punter's Way Sprint 24 Aug 2008

Craig Brennan

Grant’s Success broke through for a well deserved victory when successful in the $125,000 Punters’ Way Sprint over 1200m on Sunday.

And in doing so, the gelding landed a betting plunge firming into $19 at the finish.

Ridden by Robbie Fradd, Grant’s Success overpowered his rivals in the straight to score by one-and-three-quarter lengths over Chevron (Saimee Jumaat) with Ace And Aces (Danny Beasley) a head away third.

A solid pace was carved out in the early stages of the race with Future Baby (Mohd Zaki) leading from Ace And Aces with Silver Profesor (Mark Ewe) and Grant’s Success in close attendance.

This quartet held sway as the field made their way to the home turn where Ace And Aces quickly moved to Future Baby under a strong hold.

Ace And Aces looked to have the measure of his rivals with 200m to run, however the gelding could not withstand the finishing burst of the winner who came out past the centre of the track with his run.

Chevron ran on strongly towards the inside while Recast (Din Azis) was noticed getting to the line strongly to finish fourth.

Winning trainer Michael Clements explained that he had changed Grant’s Success’ racing pattern by giving him more time between his races.

“He seems to be thriving having a good break between his races,” said Clements. “He’s appreciating having between four and five weeks between his runs.

“The way he’s racing I think he can handle an extra ground but I’ll see he how does in getting over this run before I decide what to do with him.

“But the main thing I’ll do is continue to race him sparingly.”

While Clements is considering stepping Grant’s Success up in distance, Fradd believes the six-year-old is better suited being kept to the 1200m trip.

“They go at a nic gallop for him over 1200m,” said Fradd. “I think they just go at that slightly steadier pace over 1400m which wouldn’t play into his hands.”

Fradd said he had concerns with the track conditions prior to the race but was able to get out wider into the better going.

“I thought he may have been a problem on the soft ground, but we got out wide and he finished the race off strongly,” said Fradd.

“I was following Ace And Aces and just struggling a little, but when I switched him out he was OK.

“He had no weight on his back and that certainly helped him against some of those higher weighted horses.”

Grant’s Success is a six-year-old son of Spinning World from the What A Guest mare Lady Guest. Sunday’s victory was his seventh in 27 starts and took his prizemoney to around the $490,000 mark.

Runner-up Chevron was responsible for an encouraging first-up effort that delighted jockey Saimee.

“It was a very good effort considering he raced in the worst part of the track and I couldn’t get out where I needed to be,” said Saimee.

“He’s going to get benefit from the run.”

Recast hit the line well and jockey Din Azis said the run was excellent.

“He hit the line very well,” said Din Azis. “He carried plenty of weight and to run the way he did on the wet track was certainly a good run.”

Lim’s Fighter (Noel Callow) finished sixth and trainer John Meagher wasn’t too disappointed with the run.

“He was off the bit all the way and chasing,” said Meagher. “He wasn’t handling the ground and is only going to get benefit from the run.

“He’ll be better off on a firmer track and with a bit more ground.”