Thread: Angels
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Saratoga

Finally, something on the death of Adreamisborn.....

Excerpt from the San Francisco Chronicle.....

Hollendorfer says Sharp Writer could be the next Adreamisborn
Larry Stumes, Special to The Chronicle

..... Hollendorfer won the Grace with Adreamisborn last year when it was run on turf for the first time. Adreamisborn died because of an abscess in his pancreas soon after he finished fourth in the Grade 2 San Francisco Breeders' Cup Mile on April 29.

"He had a couple bouts of colic (earlier in the year), and we sent him to UC Davis," Hollendorfer said. "The vets went over him head to toe and scanned him everywhere and scoped him and couldn't find anything. And then he had another bout of colic, and we sent him back and they couldn't find anything again.

"Then the horse was training well and we ran him in the S.F. Mile, and he had another bout of colic and we sent him to the college again, and he died. When they did the necropsy, they found an abscess in his pancreas. It was probably something that never would have shown up."

And nothing Hollendorfer could have done anything about.

"Even though we train a lot of horses, we have a schedule that takes into consideration every horse's condition three times a day," he said. "Even though we do all these things, we still have problems the same as with any athletes with flesh and bone."

One of the best horses Hollendorfer ever trained, Adreamisborn had a running style and a career strikingly similar to Sharp Writer's so far.

Adreamisborn lost his first eight starts in 2002-03 before owner John Franks sent him from Kentucky to Hollendorfer. From early 2004 through his death, Adreamisborn won 11 of 25 starts with seven seconds and three thirds and earned $700,640. He won three Grade 3 events and finished second in the SF Mile in 2005.