Thread: Angels
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 05:53 PM
Saratoga

Knights Templar.

Rest in peace, beautiful girl.....

From DRF.....
For Vella, a weekend of grief and cheer

ETOBICOKE, Ontario - It would be an understatement to say the past week has been bittersweet for Woodbine-based trainer Danny Vella.
Last Saturday, the Vella-trained Like a Gem registered a major upset in the $252,800 Wonder Where Stakes. But just two days earlier, Knights Templar, Canada's 2-year-old filly champion under Vella's handling last season, had to be euthanized following a battle with lymphoma, a form of cancer.

Knights Templar, a Kentucky-bred, and Like a Gem, an Ontario-bred, had both come into the 2006 Woodbine meeting with high expectations. Knights Templar raced only once, however, finishing second in the six-furlong Star Shoot on April 30.

Knights Templar, who spent her last days at the Woodlands Farm of Gail Wood, underwent a series of tests before lymphoma was diagnosed.

"I have to commend Gail Wood and her crew," said Vella, who also was a member of the partnership that owned Knights Templar. "They did an amazing job, keeping her happy and comfortable. She didn't suffer a lot."

Knights Templar had stamped herself a cut above her peers here last year with a 13 1/4-length win in the Grade 3 Mazarine, a 1 1/16-mile race. She went on to finish sixth in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies at Belmont under Gary Stevens.

This year, Knights Templar opened with a sixth-place finish in Gulfstream's Sunshine Millions Oaks before returning in the Star Shoot. Overall, she won 3 of 9 starts and finished second twice for earnings of $329,117.

Like a Gem began her season in promising fashion, with the Woodbine Oaks on June 11 her prime target. Her preparations were compromised this spring, though, when a virus swept through the Woodbine backstretch, and she finished last of 10 as the 4-1 second choice in the Woodbine Oaks.

"She seemed to be all right going into the Oaks, but obviously she wasn't," said Vella.

After getting a breather on the farm, Like a Gem made her turf debut in the 6 1/2-furlong Ontario Damsel here July 29, when she finished six lengths back in sixth place.

"She had a nightmare trip there," said Vella. "It's amazing she ran as well as she did."

Like a Gem, owned and bred by Garland Williamson, recorded her first stakes victory in the Wonder Where. She also has placed in two stakes on the main track.

"She's in tip-top shape right now, and we can run her where we wish to," said Vella.

Possibilities for Like a Gem's next race include the $150,000 Duchess, a 7 1/2-furlong race for 3-year-old fillies here Aug. 12, and the $125,000 Ontario Colleen, a one-mile turf race for 3-year-old fillies here Sept. 2.