Thread: Angels
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2006, 05:15 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtrekker
Poor baby. I know he couldn't run a straight line, but he was striking. I always have a soft spot for the troublemakers. RIP, NJJ.
I do too.

This just came up on Del Mar barn notes...

STAKES RUNNER NEW JOYSEY JEFF EUTHANIZED AFTER INJURY New Joysey Jeff, who finished third in the second division of the Oceanside Stakes on Del Mar’s opening day program July 19, suffered fractured sesamoids in his left front leg while working on the Jimmy Durante Turf Course this morning, and was euthanized. The 3-year-old son of Bright Launch, trained by Mark Glatt, was in the midst of a 5-furlong work when the injury occurred. He was the first worker on the course and the rest of today’s work schedule was canceled.

In the Oceanside, the colt got to the lead in mid-stretch but ducked out under left-handed whipping and was outfinished by winner Obrigado and Porto Santo. He was put on the steward’s list following that race. Jockey Corey Nakatani, who was on the horse for today’s work, said of the Oceanside incident, “He was lugging in on me and I was trying to straighten him out. I hit him left-handed and he ducked out severely. He’s a colt with a ton of ability, though, and we’ve just got to work to make him better.” In Hollywood Park’s Grade III Cinema Breeders’ Cup Handicap, his race prior to the Oceanside, the horse ducked out in the stretch and dumped rider Jose Valdivia, who suffered a broken collarbone in the incident.

Rest in peace.