View Single Post
Old 11-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITF View Post
I think he has to win the the three year old title, regardless of what happened today.

He had the best "three year old" campaign without argument, this season. He won the He lost to Bayern in the PA Derby that was meant as nothing more than a prep for the BC Classic. He lost to Bayern in the Classic by a small margin, with an asterisk. This race should have nothing to do with the outcome of any eclipse voting. Same as if Bayern or Shared Belief run and win the Malibu. Today was an exhibition. I think Chrome was the best three year old from start to finish.
It was only "without argument" if you're a Chromie. He really stood to benefit with another G1. He has 2 losses in the last 5 months (close only works if it's not to a horse also gunning for the same Eclipse who didn't also thump you in the last meeting). I'd hardly call his the clear best 3yo campaign on the year prior to today--it and HOY were a hot mess. He spent much of the latter half of the year not racing and both times lost to Bayern. The Hollywood Derby should absolutely be considered in the voting. It's a G1 race, and as Lukas is proving with Take Charge Brandi, the year ain't done with the Breeders' Cup. It helps Chrome's case to be a dual winner with a latter year G1 win. Dual winners usually beat 3yo BC Classic winners, but not always. A little punctuation mark is in his favor. Not sure why you'd act like it's so obvious before. It wasn't. I absolutely heard debate. I figured he'd come out ahead based on history, but who knows.