View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Let's say it was a mistake. Does that mean he should lose his job? Have you, or anyone you know, made a mistake at work without losing employment?

I get the idiocy I have read on the internet. Most horseplayers are glad to see a Steward lose their job. It makes them feel better for all the times the have felt wronged by a Stewards decision. So they say something dopey about this situation without thinking. I get it.
Of course, an individual doesn't lose his or her job every tim he or she makes a mistake. But there are "mistakes" and then there are "MISTAKES."

We could have a lengthy discussion as to whether the failure to have Life At Ten tested under the circumstances - or any of the other alleged "mistakes" made by the stewards during last year's Breeders' Cup - would have justified a "for cause" termination. Of course, that's not the issue any longer, assuming published reports are correct, that this was a "without cause" termination (of a political appointee).

I, for one, do not rejoice in John Veitch losing his job. However, I do not think it is accurate to suggest that he was completely without fault in the Life At Ten affair. Nor do I think it fair to suggest that to suggest that those who have been critical of his handling of the Life At Ten situation are simply disgruntled horseplayers.