View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Pimlico

I will attempt to give my understanding of what Vic is saying.

When you reach the upper echelon of any profession you hope that you have the opportunity to do something different than your fellow professionals. Who doesn't want to be remembered for something they did; in this case to a large group of people.

In the US the most watched races seem to be the TC races and the Breeders Cup. In this case it was an opportunity where a horse could win the first TC in 34 years. The chance to say the words forever associated with you and a TC winner. Immortality maybe a stretch but is it really.

You finally settle on a what you will say. This will forever be part of history, viewed a gazillion times on you tube, and surely to be talked about for generations. Do you really remember the call with BB or Barbaro? Will you in 10 more years? I will always remember "a tremendous machine."

Suddenly that potential TC winner is scratched. It is the Belmont, a race always remembered as the one I'll Have Another could have won, but also now easily forgotten.

Professionally you will still call the race and attempt to show emotion, however you also feel that this call will probably be forgotten. You almost touched greatness but instead you are relegated back to reality.

I am off my soap box.

Aloha/Geoff