View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post
Performing isn't terrible even though she's not overly classy - she won by 4 1/2 next out and then won one of the races on the big carryover day. . . but I agree - Desert Sage hasn't beaten much. I have a hard time tying her to the fields she ran against, though, because she beat them so easily and while coming home extremely quickly with less-than-advantageous set-ups. I refuse to swallow 4-5 on the very overrated Shared Account--even though she still towers over these on paper--and think there's enough of a chance that Desert Sage is as good as she looked to me visually to key her hard against the chalk. I guess I still have to use Shared Account, though. These races kind of suck compared to Churchill's Derby Day card. . .
I don't disagree that taking a short price on Shared Account is difficult. She's not as good as BC Turf Distaff should suggest. But she's still pretty good, and basically every race she ran last year towers over this field. Given the quality of this field, it seems a mistake to go fishing for horses that are simply very unlikely to beat her. All she has, theoretically, against her is the layoff. However, she ran well in this race last year off a layoff. Well enough, in fact, to easily handle this field.