View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
You are making that up. You claim the majority of horses work on lasix in the morning? A majority means over 50%. You have absolutely zero evidence to support that. Even in the US, not even close to 50% of horses work on lasix. I get the vet bills on all of our horses from all different trainers. Most trainers don't work most of their horses on lasix. From reviewng the vet bills every month on over 100 horses over the last 5 years with 15 different trainers, I estimate around 15% of the horses work on lasix. Sure there are some trainers here that work practically all of their horses on lasix. But there are also plenty of trainers that practically never work their horses on lasix. In Eurpope, I would bet the number is much lower. Do you think the number in Europe is higher than in the US? There is no way.
You judge by your vet bills, I judge by the many trainers I see doing it, by knowing the vets that are giving the injections, by talking to the vets in other countries (just spent a conference day with three vets from Australia, and yes, we talked about horse racing and lasix), by what the veterinary industry knows about lasix use in the racing industry.

The unalienable truth is this: lasix is the most effective therapeutic drug we have to attenuate EIPH, and that medical help should not be taken away from the horse. Either in the morning, or in a race.

But most especially, the therapeutic value of lasix should not be used as a cheap straw man substitute for dealing with real drug problems in racing.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts