View Single Post
Old 06-30-2017, 03:47 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard burch View Post
I found this to be strange but, I was talking to someone who was trying to tell me that Obamacare was actually a Republican idea in some wacky way.

Any truth to that?
Some of Obamacare was similar to what Romney did with healthcare in Massachusetts. So I do think that some of the ideas came from Romney's plan. And I think it was republicans who originally came up with the idea of the mandate (people having to have health insurance).

So to answer your question, I would have to say "yes", there is "some truth" to the idea that some of what was in Obamacare was from things that republicans had done and/or suggested in the past. As surprising as this may be, this kind of stuff happens all the time in politics. One side of the aisle will be totally against something that was similar to something they favored when their guy was in office. For example, many dems are up in arms over Trump's travel ban, yet they had no problem with Obama's travel ban.

I personally couldn't care less who came up with an idea. If I think it is a bad idea I'm going to be against it regardless of who came up with it. If I think it's a good idea I'm going to be in favor of it.