View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
Shanghai Bobby next race looks like Fla Derby on 3/30. He has 24 points. If he gets some bad luck or doesn't fire that day he doesn't get in the derby. Then we may get some sanity as they restructure the point value of these races to not penalize horses running Nov through Feb. Any system that assigns the Sunland derby as much as the Fountain of Youth is suspect. I am sure everyone will say it is a work in progress but for fuk sake how much thought does it take to see making the Sunland Derby and Spiral stakes worth 5 Times the Breeders Cup Juvy is just wrong. I really like the concept of points over dollars but they didn't give the implementation much thought IMO.
I don't love the system by any means and already posted in this thread some issues I have with it.

However, would it be too much to ask for Shanghai Bobby to run 3x before the Derby? He is playing with fire with Violence and Shanghai Bobby both, who will each probably put forth Quality Road-esque performances given their need for enough points to make the field. No one should feel bad for Pletcher since he will have at least one horse in nearly every final prep (save UAE Derby).