Thread: Luck
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
2nd time I've heard this....Someone mentioned to me this morning that the pool only paid to the 8 in the first show of will pays, and wasn't until after the breakdown that the 2 was a co-longshot.

I don't recall that, but then again didn't spend a bunch of time analyzing it either. Figure there is something to it...

It grew on me a bit seeing it a second time - (I was critical when that episode previewed back in Dec.). I'll keep watching for sure.
I also had a problem with the line early on that 5 winning would knock out 3/4 of the bettors, because it seemed to me unlikely that there would be enough potential winning tickets left by the last race that either of the favorites would pay about 50,000, while the long shots would pay over two million. I thought that a lot more than 25 percent of the bettors would have to still have live tickets in that case (as I don't wager pick 6, I may not understand the math involved; it was something that stuck out to me, though).

And yeah, my husband commented that for him the stakes were lower knowing that they were going to win $50,000 at least, but I can see why they set it the storyline up like that- the ride in the 4th race and the horse breaking down would be too much for one race sequence, and for the average viewer, had they done the breakdown in an earlier race, all the rest of the races would be viewed with a fear that another horse would break down.

I'm going to watch it again to look at the will-pays. Nice catch.